- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-
-

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Garden Center Mayhem


Hello again dear blog, I know I set a "date" for us to meet again yesterday at noon, and I am sorry I missed it, but I do have a good excuse, really I do!! ;) So yesterday I had plans to spend the day in the garden working on some raised beds to grow some of my vegetable seeds which have been patiently waiting. There is an area in the backyard which I now use for the compost pile, but due to lack of interest in actually starting a real compost pile, I never layed any weed barriers down, and I don't exactly think about what I throw in. Of course I abide the standard rules such as no raw meats, or any type of food that spoils, etc,etc. But I just throw in old fruits and veggies, dried leaves, and anything else I can think of such as weeds, sticks, spent flowers, and grass clippings. Never once have I thought of the ph or nitrogen levels in it, so I have not used it often and I rarely aerate it. So, a huge mistake on my part was throwing in those darn weeds, BIG mistake. I'm telling you it's like attack of the weeds over here,there poppin up everywhere and I just cant handle it all by myself!!! So I planned on doing what I could to control the weeds and taking my old tiller out of the shed and allowing it to amend the soil with all of that old organic matter. But I got side tracked and I started weed wacking instead, lol. Then, since I figured that I would never get the raised beds done in one day, I decided to take a trip to Lowes to see what plants they had in stock. Walking into the garden center, I was bombarded with people all over, (tip 1: never go to a garden or home store on a Saturday, especially when its beautiful outside!) and from what they had out front, it looked as though I was going to have a field day. After being sadly disappointed, I walked out with a few small trailers and two basil plants. So off on my adventure again, I travled to Sears Hardware where I left in about 5 minutes, finding all of but 3 varieties of the same plants. Then I went over to Home Depot, hoping that I would find something, but again I left with a few lavender plants and thats it. I was so disappointed, that when I came home, I didn't even feel like planting any of them, but I did :) So then, I decided that I would venture out once more, to see what Walmart had in store. Finally, more then 10 plants of the same species!! After I trailed along the paths, I ended up with some heirloom tomato seeds, mesculin mix lettuce, thyme, and some marigolds to keep those pests at bay. Now all I need is some more organic soil, which they did not have in stock. As for the rest of the day, it was spent doing indoor chores and watching some gardening shows. Now that I reminded myself of chores, I have some more laundry to do!! Until next time, wishing you pleasant weather, plant selection galore, and quality time with the family!

-Some of the waterproof books I purchased and a garden journal-to be. Hopefully I will order some Abraham Darby roses and some type of climbing rose soon, so I can start enjoying my garden!

No comments:

- -
- -
-